Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Help a Sista' Out!

First off, if you haven't checked out my guest post at Amanda's scoot over there and tell me what you think!

Ballard's version:


My version:




Alright, ya'll- I need some more eyeballs on this one. Remember my decorating dilemma about my big pink fireplace?



Well it's officially spray paint season and I'm ready to break out a big ol' can of whoop a-- I mean a can of spray paint on my ugly fireplace! My problem is- which one?

I thought I had this all figured out and planned to use Rustoleum's "Stone" spray paint, but Holly told me about how she had seen it used and someone (probably some cute little sticky-fingered someone) had picked at the little 'stone' flecks in the paint. After hearing that and eyeing my children, I decided the 'stone' paint finish wasn't for me. So back to the store I went and picked up this paint in three different colors to test them out.

I will say I love the texture of this paint. It has a slightly gritty finish, but doesn't have the big faux stone chunks in it that the 'stone' paint had. I think the grit finish is very close to the original finish of the tiles. I found some extra pink tiles in the basement so I used them to test out the paint.



Option 1: Caribbean Sand
This is the lightest of the three. It's kind of a cream color with tiny dark flecks in it





Option 2: Sandstone
Kind of a medium Khaki color, same finish, but without the darker flecks


Here's a closeup:


Option 3: Desert Bisque
A dark Khaki with dark and light flecks in it.



Here's a closeup:


Which one would you choose?

BTW- I will also being painting the brass trim with oil-rubbed bronze spray paint and my dad is going to build a mantle which will extend to the wall so that I can treat the wall space above as one large symmetrical space. He's currently building a mantle for the basement fireplace as practice. He brought the nearly complete basement mantle over on Easter to double check the fit and I absolutely love it!

Love,

27 comments:

  1. I really like the last one, Desert Bisque. This is a wonderful idea and one I think I might use to dress up my horribly 80's fireplace! Can't wait to see the after pictures =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pillows are awesome!! Great job!! I really love option 3!! I think it gives a little more contrast and will really warm up the area. Can't wait to see the results! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with the other commenters, number 3. Will you be having a tutorial on those cute pillows? New to your blog and I am loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, ignore my tutorial comment, just found it on your guest post. DUH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pillows are wonderfully cute! You are so creative! I think that the darkest of the three colors for the fireplace is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the Desert Bisque!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the second one will look nicest with a bronze trim!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the darker one {the last option}.

    Those pillows are FANtasTIC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the last one, desert bisque -- can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel bad to say I like the 2nd best, with all the comments for the 3rd one. I don't think you can make a bad choice from any of them, but I think the first looks a tad to close to the trim and the third one (to me, obviously) doesn't compliment as well with the wall color as the second one.

    Your pillows are amazing. You are my crafty super hero. You had me at slipcover, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually, I just looked again. Maybe the second is too close to the wall color. The third one might contrast just enough. Sometimes it looks different IRL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i goofed & posted a comment for you on amanda's blog. love the pillows. much cuter than ballard's.

    you are going the right direction with the paint. they all look good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Because of the Oil rubbed bronze accessories I say #3 too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. #3 does it for me! Look forward to seeing the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you should paint your oil rubbed bronze and then compare the samples again.

    As if now I like the third one, desert bisque. I'm a sucker for tone on tone, and the desert bisque looks like tone on tone to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the desert bisque. Looks like most agree... Good luck. Can't wait to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Third one, definitely. And the pillows - swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yikes! That pink tile is...um...interesting, isn't it?
    I vote for #3 also.

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love option number 3 as well.

    Sami G.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Since you are going to be spraypainting inside, maybe you should check out http://www.houseofhepworths.com/2010/03/11/when-bad-ideas-happen-to-good-people/
    from House of hepworths. She spray painted in the house and overspray WAS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!
    That being said, I think that I like the 3rd one the best, but you will be the one that has to live with it. Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. have to go with the 'group' i like #3 as well...good luck with the spray painting - it does sound scary to me as well - my spray painting outside seems to go everywhere but that could be due to the wind?...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Option #1 all the way. I love the last one, but think it would be too much of a contrast and it doesn't seem to work with the wall color.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also pick #3 - and cannot wait to see the finished product.
    BTW - the pillows are too cute!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers