Tuesday, January 25, 2011

More Nursery Progress...

I finished backing the bookcases (white foam core trimmed out in red grosgrain) and arranging them (sort of- I can't seem to stop rearranging them!) and I refinished the chandelier and got it in place (thanks honey!!) ...




The chandelier started out looking like this:


The colors weren't really working and I wasn't in love with all the little crystal doo-dads, so I removed them and started by covering the pink flowers and spray-painting it creamy white. I decided it looked too shabby chic- not at all what I was going for. I've been in love with Britt's nursery chandy for a while so I decided to shamelessly copy her paint job (imitation is the highest form of flattery, right?!) and paint the leaves and stems green and the flowers and candles white.


I didn't want to get into hard wiring the light fixture, so I swagged it (I bought a $9 swag conversion kit from Lowe's) hid most of the cord behind the drapes and made a cord cover for the visible portion of the cord and chain....




I hung my paris scenes water color series above the crib and I think it's a perfect fit! The sweet knitted mobile is from a company called blabla. Mobiles like these retail for around $75, but I found mine on ebay for $5 right before my second daughter was born.



Here's the changing table- I found it on CL after my second daughter was born for $15. I planned to sew a cover for the cushion out of the remaining Carleton Varney sheeting, but I discovered that the king size pillowcases included in the set are the perfect size for a standard size contoured changing table cushion!

Do you love the needlepoint pagoda picture as much as I do?! My mom made it in the late 70's/early 80's.

Here's a close-up:


I love the gold bamboo frame too. The portrait of baby F's big sisters above the rocker is framed in a very similar gold bamboo frame I found at a flea market.

What do pagodas, paris scenes, bamboo trellis print and a vintage-y cabbage rose print have to do with each other? Other than color scheme, I have absolutely no idea, but I love them together and since I'm the one who will be spending the wee small hours of the morning in that rocker, I figure that's good enough!

I still have a few sewing projects coming up in this room like new basket liners and hopefully a moroccan pouf to put my feet up on...


BTW- I'm having the hardest time getting decent pics in here, which is weird because it gets great light. I'm using a canon SX20IS. Any tips?

P.S.- I'm in love with the new drapes! I forgot to mention when I posted about them before how ridiculously easy and inexpensive they were to make. I basically made back-tab panels by cutting a king sheet in half hemming the raw side edge and then just making little snips on the back side of the cased edge of the sheet. Then the panels were hung from a super cheap-o $2.99 rod which was covered by the tailored valance- which is just attached to some cardboard. If anyone is interested in an actual tutorial let me know!

UPDATE!!
Tutorial posted here!

PPS- If I can ever decide on this baby's middle name I plan to stencil her monogram onto the shade. If you're curious about her first name, it's spelled out in blocks on the left bookcase- if you enlarge the image you can see it!

Love,

26 comments:

  1. Wow, Pam--what a nursery! It looks WONDERFUL! I love the way you've incorporated bright colors but overall it's a very serene space. Restful but definitely cheerful. I think it's perfect!

    I enlarged the photo but still couldn't see your wee one's name--I guess my 47-year-old eyes just can't quite make it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the most beautiful nursery's I have ever seen. I sure wish I would have had your talent when my girls were little.
    BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing such a great job on this room, Pam! The color scheme is very fun, the curtains look custom (well. I guess they actually are.), and that grosgrain ribbon detail in the bookcases? LOVE that.

    I was able to make out the name but I don't want to give it away so I'll make everyone else look too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Felicity!! I LOVE that name. :) Her room is gorgeous, Pam. Love the drapes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful room! You did a fabulous job putting it together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that you are going to enjoy every late night minute with your new baby in this pretty room. I love all of the special touches that you've added.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't tell you how much I love your blog and projects - you've inspired me to tackle many sewing projects.

    I would absolutely love a tutorial for the curtains and the valence too! Any pictures or tips would be greatly appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love that name! I have been quietly watching this nursery come together and today is the day that I break my silence and tell you how absolutely gorgeous this is. I love the colors and I think that chandy just put it over the top. I have one almost exactly like it sitting in the garage and I believe today is the day I dust it off and emulate you and all of your inspiration!

    I would love a tutorial on the valance/curtains. I am finishing my son's room and having a heck of a time with the window!

    Just wanted to say job well done from an everyday reader, but infrequent commenter. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!! What a wonderful room, love the color scheme, set up and all of your creative touches. (especially the bookcase backs and the sheeting window treatments) Excellent work, looks like you had fun doing it!!!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Drapes can easily run a million dollars or so. These are great.
    Question: Where did you get your dining table from?

    I know its a bit off the wall.

    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just coming over from LGN and I needed to comment. That nursery is soooo darling. Absolutely perfect for a little girl I think. Great job. I will now proceed to devour every post you've ever written :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please post a tutorial on the curtains! P.S. I found your link on LGN. Love the room!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this nursery! And I would love a tutorial on the curtains :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! The colors in there are absolutely scrumptious! I'd love to read a tute on the curtains, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this nursery! The color combination is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tutorial on the drapes/valance please!!! This room is MAJOR. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super-cute nursery - love the red & blue together!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is SUCH a BEAUTIFUL nursery I love it!

    I would be SO happy if you would consider writing a special guest post about this project for my blog Remodelaholic. Please let me know if you are interested, and I will send you the details!

    Thanks,
    Cassity

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful nursery! The colors are absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just found your tutorial. I think I'll make it! Thank you for sharing your beautifull home with us.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just came across your post. Where did the crib bedding come from?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very informative and impressive post you have written, this is quite interesting and i have went through it completely, an upgraded information is shared, keep sharing such valuable information. Curtains

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers