Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bedtime Prayer Wall

I'm participating in:








I'm in love with this shape which seems to be everywhere lately:

It's called a quatrefoil. I've had this idea in my head for a while that I wanted to do some artwork in my little girls' shared room incorporating the bedtime prayer we say at night. I wanted the project to be inexpensive, kid friendly (I intend this to hang over my nearly 2-year-old's bed, so nothing too heavy and no glass!) and super cute.

After this project I decided to use my diy stretched canvas idea again to save money, and I knew I wanted to incorporate the quatrefoil shape, so here's what I came up with:



It was really cloudy outside when I took these photos, and I just couldn't capture the colors accurately. The greens all look way to dark and olivey and the pink isn't showing up very well. You'll just have to take my word for it that the colors are really cute in person!



Materials:
3 sheets of 20" x 30" foam board from dollar tree, (this was exactly enough to make 9 finished 10"squares)
18 sheets of Scrapbook Paper (already had this in my stash, but FYI I recently saw 8 sheet packs of SBP in the dollar section at Michaels for 50 cents per pack!)
Glue stick (already had this on hand)
Matte Spray Sealer (already had this on hand)


Here's how I did it:

First I made the "stretched canvas" forms just like I detailed here. The only change I made was that this time I used two layers of "spacers" to make the finished canvases a little thicker. Making the canvases myself saved so much money! I made all 9 for $3. I couldn't buy one plain canvas in craft store for that much!

Then I wrapped each "canvas" in one sheet of 12x12 scrapbook paper. To make it a little smoother and easier I used the pointy end of a letter opener to score the paper along the folds as I wrapped.

Then I made a quatrefoile template. It's essentially a square with a semi-circle centered on each side. I started by figuring out how big I wanted the square part, then I traced half of my coffee cup along each side and cut it out.

Then I used my template to trace and cut out one SBP quatrefoile shape for each canvas.

Since I don't own a cricut, it was a little tricky to figure out how to handle the lettering without having to cut each letter out by hand. My hubby helped me figure out that reverse printing in white on a colored circle looked nice and crisp. I believe the font I used was Clarendon Bold.

Once all my pieces were cut out, I assembled the canvases with a glue stick and used two coats of spray sealer on top.

Then I hung them with some command adhesive strips ( I stocked up on these a while ago when they were BOGO at my drug store). This way when my 2-year-old inevitably gets into shenanigans during naptime and tries to pull them off the wall, there aren't any nails to contend with and I can stick them right back up!


The prayer reads:
Father in heaven
Hear my prayer.
Keep me in
thy loving care.
Be my guide
in all I do
and bless all those
who love me too.
Amen.

The "now I lay me down to sleep" prayer would also work on 9 canvases!






Love,

31 comments:

  1. I love these colors you used, thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous wall! Love the canvases, love the colors you chose, love the prayer. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. really smart idea about the faux canvas! i love it! thanks for posting. i'll have to try this, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job! Looks like a lot of work, especially without a cricut! Joining you from Reinvented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh I love that! Your colors are organized so well and the design is perfect! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty and personal - I love the shape, too - quatrefoil - there will be a quiz later ;).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply adorable! Love the colors and designs - fabulous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love it! I have two boys so I am really thinking about how this would work in a boys room. Thanks so much for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how you made your canvases!! I have been contemplating how to do this but it was not working...guess what...now I know how!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so sweet, I love it. Thank you for sharing it! I hope to re create it in my own life. Blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely LOVE this! I wanna steal it for my daughter's room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this and congrats on being one of the finalists for the $5 challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely LOVE THIS!! congrats on being a finalists and I'm voting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute! Congrats on being a finalist too! I feel like I am in a talented group of girls!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic idea! Absolutely beautiful. Your girls are lucky to have such a talented mother :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a sweet, sweet, craft. I adore this! Thanks for sharing. Be blessed. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love, love, love this!!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful creative idea.
    ♥ Joy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pam, I love your prayer wall! I would love to make one for my son. I think it so important to have prayer in a child's life. This just makes it so visible. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers