Friday, September 11, 2009

Girls Shared Bedroom Reveal

I'm participating in DIY day at Kimba's. Make sure to stop by and check out all the great projects!

I kept waiting for the rain to let up and the sun to come out of hiding, but it rained here all.....day....long....

So, I finally gave up and took the pictures anyway. I apologize for the quality!

Hey, by the way, don't you think a nice new camera would be a lovely Christmas gift for a certain someone who's recently gotten into blogging?! Oh, Boogie!

Yes, I call my hubby Boogie. Go ahead, finish laughing, I'll wait... hmmmm......, tapping fingers......, done yet? No?! I'm sorry, I'm going to have to go on anyway.

As promised, here are the pics of the girls' room!
Here's the before:


And the after!

It's finished! Well, sorta finished. Almost finished. Just a few little... Aw, who am I kidding- you know I'm gonna tweak this one till they're in college!

Like that little space between the top of the window frame and curtain rod- don't you think vinyl lettering that says "SISTERS make the best friends" would be sooo cute?!

The bedding is called "Spring Tulip". My dear friend, Becky helped me pick it up while it was on uber sale at the pottery barn outlet near her house last year. I lucked out and found the drapes on eBay a few months ago. I got the vanity for free on freecycle and I picked up the chair at our neighborhood yard sale and refinished it in this post.

I made the roman shades with instructions from my girl, Jenny(okay, she still doesn't know she's my girl but I think I'm getting up enough nerve to ask her to stop by) at Little Green Notebook (by the way, she just finished her little girls' room too and it is sooooooo fabulous!)


At the foot of each bed is a little modular shelf thingie from Ikea (from a zillion years ago- used to belong to a friend in college) that I'm using as a little storage bench for books. I topped each with a little cushion I made by slipcovering a 1" piece of foam. I kinda cheaped out on the foam, but I guess they get the job done. I'll beef them up when I can get a better deal on the foam.

My mom is working on crocheting the cutest blankets for the foot of the beds! I'll show you when she's done.

Oh, and the rug was $40 (I think?) at Sam's club.


I was hoping to find some Jenny Lind style headboards on CL, but so far I haven't had any luck. I found these white ledge shelves at goodwill for $3 each and figured that could take the place of a headboard until I found some that I liked.

Once they were in place I remembered this photo (I think it's from BHG?)

And got excited because I had similar looking cushions that I thought would fit the bill sitting in the top of the closet. They were the first incarnation of the bench cushions, but I forgot that they would pull in when they were stuffed and they came out too small for the benches. They happen to be the perfect size to hang under the ledges. Hooray for happy accidents!


I blogged about the artwork here and I just added the little potted tulips and framed initials. The "pots" for the tulips are little buckets I found at the dollar spot in Target. I found wooden tulip cut-outs at the craft store and covered the stems in ribbon and the flower part in scrapbook paper. I stuck them into a piece of styrofoam in the pot and covered the top with moss. Easy, peasy.

To make the framed initials, I used my embroidery machine to embroider the initials onto scrapbook paper (yes, it can embroider paper!) but could have just as easily cut the letters out of scrapbook paper and layered over another sheet.

I painted the green part of the walls and my hubby, the fine artist, humbled himself to paint the ribbon effect border. He really does not enjoy any kind of painting that is merely decorative. Thanks, Boogie! It's just what I wanted!


Wanna know something really funny?! I originally suggested to my hubby that perhaps as a substitute for headboards, he could paint a trompe l'oeil mural of a headboard onto the wall behind each bed. It took some nudging, but he eventually agreed. He went off with his sketchpad to figure out what he wanted to do. He emerged a while later, excited to show me his ideas.

I took one look and started laughing. I was sure it was a joke. You see, he had sketched out this crazy scary gothic bed with hypogryphs, dragons and griffins perched on the bed posts. It was terrifying. I'm not exaggerating, there really were dragons... and griffins! AND hypogryphs!! Oh, MY!!

In true artiste style he said something to the effect of, "If you don't like it, that's just fine!" and stormed out of the room.

I tried not to, but that made me laugh even harder. Oh, dear god. He actually thought we would paint dragons and griffins on the wall of our three-year-old daughters bedroom!! Um, hello? Nightmares?!

Ever wonder what in the world is going through your man's head?!

After he calmed down he explained that the gargoyles and griffins would protect her while she slept. Okay, that's pretty sweet, but what's the matter with guardian angels?!

Apparently, I haven't read enough fantasy novels. I told him if he wanted to paint medieval/mythical creatures in our home he'd have to wait until we have a boy.

Anyway, back to the room at hand...

Here's the opposite wall. I'm not in love with this arrangement on the wall, but it took some doing to get that shelf hung, so it's staying, at least for a little while.


I found the shelf on a recent goodwill run, and the little painting of the dresses was a Homegoods find. There are a few more of the Target pails on the pegs for hair do-dads and such.



The dresser was my husbands in his single days. It used to be brown but I spraypainted it white. I really wanted to change out the hardware, but between the serpentine shape of the drawer fronts and the non-standard widths of the existing drilled holes, I gave up the search and decided instead to use this ribbon that I already had in my stash. The mirror was another Homegoods find (I just added more ribbon) and the crosses and knick-knacks were all gifts. I know the yellow ducky lamp doesn't quite fit the color scheme in here, but my aunt made him for me in her ceramics class when I was a baby, so I'm not painting him. He did get a new shade.




By the way, in case you were wondering who was peeking down from that ledge up there, here's a better look...


What in the world is the point of this weird little space? You can't really tell in the photo, but it's really high. I risked life and limb standing up on the dresser on my tippy toes to get those guys up there. And there's an electrical outlet up there! What in the world might someone possibly plug in up there?!


ACK! No sooner did I finish that sentence than I realized I could plug in a cute chandelier up there and swag it over towards the center of the room, right?! Hmm....


Or if we ever have a Duggar sized family (breathe Boogie, I'm only kidding!) we can put a mattress up there!



I'll leave you with one more little Homegoods find...


I'm linking up to Someday Crafts for the "Man Craft" party!



Love,
















38 comments:

  1. What a beautiful room!

    Just stopping in from SITS!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your husband did the paint job? That is amazingly beautiful - the artistry and the fact that your husband did it!!! I wish my daughter had a stunning bedroom like this. Truly, this could be on HGTV for Design on a Dime or Color Splash or something else. I'm a little jealous, but I will get over it and love you just the same!!! Thanks for stopping by and linking up. You're lucky to have a "Boogie" man in your life that will craft with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful room! I want one for myself :)

    Happy Saturday Sharefest from SITS!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I am in the process of building a house and I have an 11 year old girl and a 4 year old girl, SO I hope you don't mind but I am going to really love stealing your beautiful ideas. I have four of your links to read just from one post!! You are so gonna keep me busy ;)

    Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did FANTASTIC!!! What an incredible eye you have... and your attention to design detail is amazing!!! I think I want that bedroom. :)

    You should send it in to magazines... I bet you could get featured!!!

    God bless-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute room! It sounds like you got some amazing deals, too. To answer your question about my TV cover-up: The canvas fits perfectly into the frame opening, which is an inch or so out from the TV screen, so you just place the canvas in and it's held by the two frames fitting so well together. It's just as easy to take it out - just pull it straight out of the TV frame opening. It's funny because this is such an easy way of doing this, but for some reason it has been really difficult to explain! I may have to edit my post a little to clarify!
    Britt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...I love it! It is just perfect. The colors are great and I love the "headboards" - very cute.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! You did a wonderful job and I love the painted border on the walls. Thanks for sharing your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a really precious re-do! Gosh wish I'd had girls now but the Lord gave me 2 boy younguns! JK! Love them...they are grown up now anyway and wouldn't go for a foo-foo room. You did a great job on a shoe string. I am a fan of Tater Tot Mom. She was my first blogging connection.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a beautiful room for your girls! Great job Boogie (and Pam)! haha I love every single detail!

    ;) Looks like a DIY Show Off submission! (hint)

    lol

    Have a great weekend!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a sweet girls bedroom. Love all your ideas. I saw that same ledge with the cushion as a headboard to over at BHG. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like a princess just looking at the picture!
    Gorgeous attention to detail!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So uber super sweet! I just love it all! How fun to have little girls to decorate for! I love the pink and green ~ and tulips are adorable!

    If you get a chance, I'd love if you'd stop by my new blog and see the playhouse my hubby made for our little guy...

    http://www.cutest-little-things.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you have been very busy! The room looks amazing and your husband's contributions are big too! Thank you for sharing the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eek!! Pam, it's amazing! :) I love pink and green together. It's such a sweet, charming room, and you thought of all the details. Had to laugh about your husband storming off. :) I love love love the beds and the cute little benches at the bottom...am planning on doing something similar when my girls shack up together in the next 6 months or so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this is super cute! I love the pink and green together.

    I love that you call your husband "Boogie". How cute. My hubby's nickname is "Doodlebug".

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did an awesome job!

    ...stopping by from SITS...

    Steph @ Stick It in the Fridge

    pleasestickitinthefridge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful!!!!!! I love all of it. Thanks for showing it off.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bwahahaha... your comment made me laugh. I love a good donut, but those shoes were too cute to pass up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is so pretty! You are one creative lady. I'm stopping by from SITS and enjoyed the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is really cute! Love the cushion under the shelf idea. Your hubby did a great job on the ribbon painting! Lamps Plus has some cute little crytstal chandeliers for under $100.00 that you could swag. {I know because I was on their website today and bought two pretty little sconces for my French styled guest bedroom}.

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW! What a gorgeous little girls room. LOVE all the details...especially the ribbon effect painted at the top.

    The story of your hubby's scary drawing had me laughing so hard. Even still...the sentiment was super sweet!

    Thanks for inviting me over! Your blog is great.

    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is so cute!! My two girls share a room so I really like seeing cute rooms like this!


    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pam. it looks great! You did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks SOOO cute. You should be really proud of yourself!!

    Alyshia

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi there. My name is Crystal and I run a blog called Olive Rue. Sometime sent me an e-mail last night telling me blog blog photos and content had been stolen and posted on another blog. The blog is over 3 years old so as I have been wading through the archives to find more of my stolen content, I discovered one of your posts. Please read my latest blog update and it will make more sense: Here is the to your stolen content :

    http://www.designhomeonline.com/2009/09/11/girls-shared-bedroom-reveal/

    ReplyDelete
  28. just found your blog- your girls room turned out so cute!! if only i had girls. i did have fun trying to do a room for 2 boys though :) your stuff is super cute i'll have to make a note! my sis and i just started up our own too!

    -natalie
    www.centsiblychicsisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's adorable! I'm visiting from Kimba's DIY Day. Thanks so much for sharing. I've always liked that cushion headboard. I really like your take on it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cute, CUTE! Love the cushions and the shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful, it really makes me want another girl so I can decorate a girlie room! I love everything about it!! The paint job is wonderful! We have a potterybarn outlet near us and this post just makes me want to run there to find some bargains, but alas... it's NO Spend month!

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Super adorable room! I agree with Donna....I need to have a little girl just to decorate for her!

    ReplyDelete
  33. looks awesome! I hope one day I will be able to do this, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very pretty! A room any little girl would be proud of! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cute, cute room! I am in the process of putting together my princess room, I mean, my 3 year old's princess room. You've got good taste. The headboard inspiration from BHG, I clipped that for my file folder. Love it! If my opinion matters to anyone else but me, and it's ok that it doesn't, the SISTERS sign that you mentioned would be totally cute. Also, you have a great start on the shelf that you said you didn't quite like but was staying put for a while. Just add more stuff on both sides. Check out itsthelittlethingsthatmakea houseahome.blogpot.com. Look at her daughter's room to see what I mean-she's done a fantastic job, too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very cute! What a fantastic job! Love the painted walls.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This a great post! I enjoyed reading it.

    I think this article could complement your post.

    Good luck with your future piece :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers